Beta Reading Services
Please read the details below about Haunted Unicorn Publishing’s Beta Reading Services. Keep in mind, beta reading is no where near as in depth as a developmental edit. Then if you want to request my services, fill out and follow the directions on this Form.
What will I beta read?
- Fiction only. Including short stories!
- My specialties are fantasy and horror, but I will read almost any genre. I have critiqued many different genres, especially during my M.F.A. program.
- No erotica, please, sorry.
What is included in a beta read?
- One read through of your book.
- As I read through, I will make notes. These will be purely reader reactions.
- I will summarize my bigger, overarching suggestions once I reach the end.
What is NOT included in a beta read?
- Copy editing, proofreading, grammar, sentence structure.
- Fact checking.
- Discussion about my comments. I’m happy to clarify wording that doesn’t make sense to you, but I won’t do a back and forth to figure out how to fix specific problems, unless you decide to pay for Beta Plus (see below for details). Note: developmental editing includes this back and forth discussion.
- No rush requests, please.
What is the process for beta reading services?
- Fill out the Beta Reading Request Form.
- Email your document file per the instructions at the bottom of the above form. If it’s not ready, please send when it is.
- I’ll reply to your request within 48 hours. You’ll receive available time slots, and I’ll ask any other questions I have.
- Please make sure to send me your file at least 2 weeks before the completion date we decide on. I can’t do rush jobs, and depending on length of the book, beta reading can take some time.
- After we settle on a time slot and once I have your file, I will give you a price quote.
- Once you’ve accepted the price quote, I’ll send you an invoice via Paypal for half of the cost (if the total cost is under $30, I will only send one invoice for the entire amount).
- The half down must be paid before I start any work. Please pay promptly, or turnaround may be delayed (the only exception is for under $30 single invoices – these can be paid upon me sending you the comments).
- I’ll complete the beta read, email it to you, and then send you the invoice for the remaining cost, to be paid upon receipt.
- If you’ve added on Beta Plus, we will discuss and troubleshoot via email.
- Throughout the entire process, I’ll strive to keep communication open and reply to emails within 48 hours of receiving them.
What’s the cost of beta reading?
- $0.001 per word.
- So, this means a 30,000-word book would cost $30 and a 90,000-word book $90.
- $10 minimum cost – any short story under 10,000 words will still cost $10.
- Add on Beta Plus for another $0.001 per word! This is for those of you who would like a more in depth discussion of my comments with me, to troubleshoot and think of ideas on how to change any problem areas. The discussion will be via email only.